Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's so nice when...

I love it when I can be legitimately happy for an event in someone's life that is also going to make people I'd just as soon be miserable, well miserable.

I checked CNN Online this morning and saw this article, which brought a big smile to my face:


Vice president's lesbian daughter pregnant

I am happy for Ms. Cheney and Ms. Poe, as I would be for anyone who had decided to have children. Of course I am especially pleased for them as it is not a simple process for a gay couple to have a child (and while yes, it may be easier for a lesbian couple, it still isn't "easy")

That said, it is pretty inevitable that the Radical Right is going to have collective apoplexy. I imagine that this quote will be especially problematic:


said Lea Anne McBride, a spokeswoman for the vice president. The baby is due in late spring.

"The vice president and Mrs. Cheney are looking forward with eager anticipation to the arrival of their sixth granddaughter," McBride said.

Say what you will about Dick Cheney, and I'll freely say that I think he is one of the most immoral and scary bastards ever to walk the halls of power, but he has to know that this is going to get the Right going. I am going to give him the benefit of doubt and say that he is just more interested in his daughter and forthcoming 6th grandchild.

No comments: